Sunday, August 2, 2015

New Pattern: Oileán Hat


I'm having A Thing with Fair Isle right now. 

Oileán (pronounced ill-lawn) is a modern, bold Fair Isle hat for the whole family. I knitted a baby-sized hat on a whim a few weeks ago, because we were going to visit some good friends who are expecting. Usually I make babies a Viking Hat, but I just wanted to mix it up a bit. I had just gotten a vintage Fair Isle book in the mail, I had a bag of worsted leftovers and a free evening, and ta-da! Modern Fair Isle baby hat. I fully intended to give the hat to our friends, but once it was finished, I couldn't. I loved it so much that I knew it had to be a design. So the next night, I dug out the larger bag of worsted leftovers and made a me-sized version. 



And now it's my newest pattern. The pattern is written for Baby through Adult Large, so you can make a hat for everyone in your life! 

One thing to note: three rounds at the beginning and three rounds at the end of the color work motif have three colors per round. It's not as scary as it sounds, and there's a note in the pattern to walk you through it. Yay, a challenge! Because the color work requires so little yarn, this is a great use of all that leftover worsted. I have a large tote bag full of partial balls of Cascade 220 and Knit Picks WofA. Always looking for more uses for that bag! 

Details!
Sizes:
Baby, Toddler, Kid, Teen/Adult S, Adult M, Adult L
Finished Circumference: 14.5 (16, 17.5, 19, 20.25, 22) inches/ 37 (40.5, 44.5, 48, 51.5, 56) cm, to be worn with 1-2 inches/ 2.5-5 cm of negative ease.


Yarn:
Cascade 220; [100% Wool; 220yd/201m per 100 g skein];
Baby Hat Shown in:
Main Color (MC): 8505 White: 1 skein
Contrast Colors: 7827 Goldenrod, 9421 Blue Hawaii, 8555 Black, 9404 Ruby; small amount of each
Adult M Hat Shown in:
Main Color (MC): 7818 Blue Velvet, 1 skein
Contrast Colors: 8505 White, 9421 Blue Hawaii, 7802 Cerise, 7803 Magenta; small amount of each


Until August 7th, get this pattern for just $2.50 on Ravelry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment